One of my huge hopes for WordPress 4.0 is a redesigned dashboard. Not that the current dashboard doesn’t do what it does well, but for some reason I just don’t care for it anymore. WordPress has grown to something much more capable than it was in past, and I think it is time for a major overhaul. But until theme, we are stuck with admin themes.
I am a huge fan of simplistic. I am also very impatient. Because of these two things, I had to do what I could to simplify not the structure, but at least the visual aspect of the Dashboard. So a theme was created, aptly named “Simple Admin Theme”. I know, creative right?
- High-contrast theme using default dashboard grays.
- Replaced blurred drop-shadows from menus and other elements, replaced with sharp shadows.
- Removed border-radiuses from elements.
- Replaced login logo with simpler Wordpres text logo.
- Replaced dashboard WordPress icon logo with high-contrast version.
- Unzip simple-admin-theme.zip and upload the simple-admin-theme folder to /wp-content/plugins/.
- On the Plugins > Installed Plugins page, activate the Simple Admin Theme plugin.
- Updated to version 1.2
- Auto-update latest version set to 1.2
- Further adjustments made to screens smaller than 900px
- Modified README.md and readme.txt by adding screenshots